»

July 31, 2009

Dear Cory

I didn't grow up in the Philippines,
nor did I have a fully Filipino upbringing,
but I still have enough pride
because of strong and amazing Filipinas such as
my aunt, who is beautiful and strong and who alone supports her five children while living in a foreign country, far away from family;
my librarian mentor, who lived through a revolution, and despite all the hardships she has seen, still has the biggest dreams and a heart of gold;
my cousins, who are too wise beyond their years but have the loudest laughs in the room;
and my mother, who is the most selfless, self-sacrificing, loving person I know;
to know that you,
Corazon Aquino,
who embodies all these strong Filipina women in my life,
who have taught me the importance of
humility,
inner strength,
determination,
and most importantly,
family,
will be missed.
And if there is one thing I know for sure, it is that
I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

0 comments: